Monday, September 10, 2012

An Interview With Hiring Librarians

I've done an interview with the good folks over at Hiring Librarians on, you guessed it, hiring library staff. Here's a taste:

Too many applicants come in unprepared. They haven’t done, or haven’t articulated that they’ve done, background research on the library, on the institution. Please please please go to our website and poke around. Tell us what you liked, what works, as well as what doesn’t.
Look at the mission of the institution; it’s something we take very seriously, and there are hard days when that mission, those goals, seems like all we have. Let us know how you can help us with that mission, and achieve those goals.
But of course go read the whole thing.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this - I have completely changed my cover letter and resume based on this entry and another one you did. I figured that the 250+ jobs I applied to couldn't have all "hired from within" and there must have been something wrong with my submissions. Hopefully the changes will catch a prospective employer's eye in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck, and thanks for reading. I don't think I've applied for 250 positions, but I have applied for at least 100. My only offer was for my current one.

      Delete